What is the difference between Reporting and Performance Analytics? These two terms are often used interchangeably to mean the same thing. But they are actually two different things and used for different purpose.
To Start with Reporting is an Out Of The Box Plugin in ServiceNow that is used for making reports on the available data in the system. The report fetches data from a particular table and makes a chart to display what you need.To Create a Report you can navigate to Reports — Create ReportNext Type a name for the report, Report source and table Name
Next Select the type of the Chart and build with required conditions. Once done you can customize the chart in Style.
Performance Analytics (PA) is also an Out Of The Box Plugin in ServiceNow that provides data analysis, collection and visualization. PA data driven metrics is used to calculate the Business ROI.
Both tool visualize the data. So what’s the Big Difference?
ServiceNow Performance Analytics and Reporting functionality immensely differs based on how we going to present the data. The Key difference is data collection and continuity.
PA is used to monitor the data 24×7. This way you can monitor your department performance and quality of deliverables. PA collects the data, analyzes, compares and visualizes the same. It also shows the trends and forecasts the future performance.
By Using Performance Analytics
- we can see trends with comparing data from intervals
- We can improve the services by identifying the bottlenecks
- Automate the daily activities
- By using forecasts we can act on them before any damage is caused
Since reports fetch data from table directly, they can only show the current status. If some changes happen in a table, the report refreshes and show the fresh data which is updated. This is the reason we can’t analyze trends in performance properly.
This is why PA uses different process:
- ServiceNow Admin define indicator sources, from which data will be extracted
- Then they determine indicator, which are the ‘I’ in KPI. PA has three groups of indicators: 1. Automated(for long periods of data collection), 2. Manual(for specific historical data), 3. Formula(for calculations and manipulations with the previous two). Data collected for one indicator over time results in a series of indicator scores, which display data extracted from a particular table at regular intervals
- Then they set up breakdown sources to make sure that you get the results you need when you look at data broken down by a different element
- Data collection can be historical and ongoing. This way indicators get filled with the correct data.
- Then, SNow intelligent automation engine analyzes, compares and then visualizes the data.
- Finally we can view the widgets and scorecard then you can create your own dashboards based on your requirements
So Performance Analytics regularly documents the performance data, analyzes the difference between the intervals and shows real-time changes in the performance. Whereas Reporting can only show what the tables have stored at that moment.
The another difference is Reports can be created by any one, but in-order to create PA admin rights is required.